A couple of months ago, I decided to participate in another ugly fabric challenge. The moderator of a group I belong to sends all the participants a piece of fabric she has dyed and considers 'ugly.' Our job is to try to create a swan out of an ugly duckling!
I got this half yard piece of fabric.
I quite like the bits of golden brown on the one side. I wondered about the blue- since this is so dark, I knew I had to discharge first. With blues, that generally means you are limited to bleach.
So, I folded it into a square, and clamped a piece of plexiglass on both sides.
With all those clamps, I didn't have a bucket big enough- so I had to remove some, which means the plexiglass didn't resist as well as I'd have liked. Here it is soaking in Bleach Stop,
and this is what it looked like after being washed.
I tried to fold it so the lightest areas were inside the package, but it's pretty light on the two sides. I'm happy that I lost most of the blue, and that I have the very dark rectangles left. Now I will look at it for a few days, trying to decide what the next step is. I'm thinking an overdye in a warm red.
As for soaping, I now have over a hundred bars curing in the closet. I decided I had to slow down making them, I need to see how they sell! So far, those who have been gifted with soap have liked it, and I am enjoying using it too. One of these days I'm going to have to do a blog post on the similarities between soapers and quilters!
I can feel the muse slowly making her way back into my psyche after what feels like a long absence. With Lance's wedding done, Shannon moved to Colorado and starting nursing school, and Sean graduated and pursuing his plans, I'm hoping for a little more emotional energy and space to devote to both my artistic outlets. And if the soap doesn't sell, I guess we'll just have a very clean family and circle of friends!